Well, it's only been months since Naz first posted about it, and this post can basically be summed up as, "wot she said."
Having recently received one of the Topshop Eye Crayons (made in Italy, £7.50 for 1.64g) as a gift, I was spurred on by her post to borrow some of my mum's ByTerry Ombre Blackstars (made in Italy, £27.50 for 1.64g) for, y'know, Science*. Or swatches.
* GraceLondon has contributed rather more science (ingredients lists!) via comment.
Straight and angled swatches in natural light
Full sun -- with ByTerry Bronze Moon added
I hope these convey just how similar the textures are -- Topshop Mystical may look a little more glittery at some angles but in my opinion this is entirely down to the fact that its iridescent shimmer is more distinct from the base colour; other ByTerry shades, such as Black Pearl, would look more shimmery than the Topshop.
In terms of feel, blendability, the appearance once on the eyes, and lasting power (both on my dry eyelids and my mother's oily ones), the Topshop and ByTerry perform identically.
Fortunately for my bank account, I prefer the cool taupe Topshop Mystique to any of ByTerry's offerings. In terms of direct shade dupe-age, Topshop Whisper seems close to ByTerry Blond Opal, while the discontinued Zephyr looks from Naz's picture to be a gold-shimmered version of ByTerry silvered Black Pearl. Otherwise, none of the other Topshop shades currently available seem to be repeats: Bramble is a dark neutral brown with contrasting cool shimmer and Sunshower a bright, very yellow gold metallic with tonal shimmer.
Here's Mystique again against some other taupes. Mostly creams, two touchstone powders.
- RMS Beauty Eyeshadow Magnetic
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #2 Steel
- Paul&Joe Eye Gloss Duo #4 Bourgeoisie (darker side)
- Shu Uemura liquid eyeshadow from Glint Blue duo (LE Egerie collection, spring 2010)
- Topshop Eye Crayon Mystique
- ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Misty Rock
- ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Bronze Moon
- Shu Uemura ME Silver 945 (DC)
- Addiction Eyeshadow Flash Back
Natural light, shade
Natural light, sun
Finally, Mystique worn as a 5-second wash in natural light