Pages

Saturday, 9 June 2012

Friday Photo Meme -- What's New Edition

I saw Haru's latest edition of Yumeko's Photo Meme on Rouge Deluxe this morning and it looked fun, and a great way of playing catch-up with as yet unblogged frivolousness, so here's mine :)

1. Something you bought recently
Shu Uemura G135, G251, G745, IR115, IR311, G646
top row: G135, G251, G745  |  bottom: IR115, G311, G646
Six of the ten new Shu Uemura glitters (released June 1st). Some of you may know I decided to take June off for my twelve-of-2012 self-deceiving overambitious pledge of foolishness low-buy. I'll extend the low-buy through January, so it'll still run for twelve months, but in the meantime "waah I'm spending my birthday in strangelands must buy all the shinyshiny things".


2. Something you got in the mail this week
From a lovely American friend, the new Sugarpill Hearbreaker palette (right) to complete my collection of their pressed eyeshadows (best brights out there, end of). It seems like the entire blogosphere has reviewed/swatched this already so I'll just direct you to these awesome ones from Confessions of a Glitterholic and Lauren Clark (which captures the definite micro-shimmer in all four shades).
Heartbreaker will be replacing Guerlain Ecrin 6 2 Place Vendôme (left) in my collection -- the one common note being cobalt blue :D


3. Something you could not live without this week
I've been doing a lot of running around in the sweltering heat lately, and relying on perfumes to act as my pocketful of posies to ward off the plague sublime stenches let's just call it summer. In particular, I've been reaching for aquatics (perhaps the most-maligned genre by the fume-blogosphere) to save me from wilting -- Frédéric Malle's En Passant conjures up a dewy carpet of lilacs and delicate orange-blossoms (nary a hint of a heady indole here) and the greenness of sap as if the petals had been snapped off whole by the sheer weight of water from a just-past rainstorm. All done with Olivia Giacobetti's signature watercolour impressionism, it never descends into sweetly pretty cliché, and while the total absence of any 'bread' note on my skin means that it's sadly lacking in quirkiness, there is enough dry earthy 'wheatiness' to prevent this scent from veering into actively moist -- is humid enough, donotwant! -- and to ground the airyfairy florals.


4. Something you are trying out this week
Addiction released several shades of Eye Lacquer WP for summer and Swimming Pool was my test-the-water (har har) purchase. So far, it seems to perform identically to the Paul&Joe Eye Gloss formula, which can be worn either as a delicate veil of a topcoat or built up to an über-glittery lacquer, over various creams or powders, or on its own, with absolutely no creasing or fallout.


5. Something you are wearing this week
carved resin cuffs both from etsy // 'eco-plastic' lace bracelet by Batucada.
This could just as easily have gone under the 'trying out' category. I've always been too cheap/lazy to accessorise properly but am trying to remedy this. This week: wristwear-in-odd-materials (...yeah, I'm an accessories noob). Still have yet to master wearing of wristwatch without dramatically smashing watch-face against nearest indestructible surface during wild gesticulation.

19 comments:

  1. yummy, Malle. I've been obsessed with Une Rose and Carnal Flower lately. Must sniff En Passant. Sounds absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *think* you have now? :) Did you like?

      Delete
  2. thank you for joining!!!

    so how do u store your shu umeura glitters? :D

    the cuffs and bracelets look amazing! i havent seen anything similar

    i dont wear anything on my arms normally but they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yumeko! So nice to see you :D

      I just throw all my new Shu's into Z-palettes for now. It's not perfect, I wish they'd make bigger 16/32 palettes again!

      It is a bit hot to be trying to get in the habit of wearing accessories now, lol

      Delete
  3. Your photo of the Shu glitters had me gasping! Must check these out on my next trip to London. My two Addiction eye lacquers should be arriving in a couple of days. I also ordered Swimming Pool :-) You have the most elegant accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see what you pair Swimming Pool with. Part of me wishes I'd been brave and gone for the red or yellow....

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. So glad to see you popping in, Jamilla!

      Delete
  5. I love the Shu glitter eyeshadow I have - will have to have a look at the new shades.

    Those cuffs are exquisite. I love your taste in pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a wee bit addicted to the glittery-topcoat-in-centre-of-lid thing that Japanese palettes like to push. The Shu ones let me claw back a little sense of consumerist independence ;)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for a fun post. Your descriptions almost had me rolling on the floor laughing. I can't complain about the weather though. I live in Holland and am always whining that there's not enough sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment :) I lived in Holland for a while as a kid + loved it

      Delete
  7. I NEED THE ADDICTION LACQUERS!!! I cannot wait to get hold of them, though I now have to wait until October! Looking forward to seeing the new Shu glitters on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul&Joe in the meantime? October is so far away! But then you'll be able to touchyfeely the autumn collection :D

      Delete
  8. What a fun post, I might do something like this too:) I loove the look of those carved cuffs *I wants!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Your collage-y picture posts are the best.
      Cuffs are from theshagbag

      Delete
  9. PS. I'll need a linky to the bangles please:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post!! I've yet to try any products from Sugarpill...I think the heartbreaker palette will be entering the top 10 of my wish list.

    I'm in love with those resin cuffs!! I love this prints, by any chance, do you remember what seller you purchased them from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etsy seller: I chose theshagbag because they make custom sizes but there are lots of different styles if you search 'resin cuffs' :)

      You NEED to try Sugarpill, they are so you!

      Delete