Pages

Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Catrice Absolute Eye Colour Mono Swatchathon

These delicious drugstore eyeshadow singles are my newest addiction (apologies to darling Laura) and this post will be the swatch'n'squee portion; comparisons to other shades will eventually follow and they'll show up in future looks too.

Catrice Eyeshadows Eyeshadow Mono Grey's Philosophy, Starlight Espresso, Oh, It's Toffee-ful, My First Copperware Party, Heidi Plum (OLD), Heidi Plum (NEW), Don't Lie, Lac, The Noble Knights, C'Mon Chameleon, John Lemon, Pink Rock Super Star, Dalai Drama, Kiwi Wonder, Bonnie & Cloud, In Love With Hulk, Vanessa's Paradise, Petrol Keeps Me Running, Hip Hop On the Tree Top, Top of the Cops

Packaging: sturdy clear plastic, like old Shu Uemura, but heftier. The snug magnetic closure makes them more mani-friendly than Shu too.
Texture: in general on the pigmented and soft but slightly powdery side, highly reminiscent of old-school Stila.
Finish: varies -- see notes to swatches.
Shade-range: fantastic and fashion-conscious but shades get released and discontinued at lightning speed -- think of this brand as the Zara of makeup.

German retail is 2.49 for 2g; the shades I own are all made in Germany, Poland or France. (Catrice is also sold in many continental European countries as well as the Republic of Ireland.)

All swatches made with sponge applicators and built up to show colour. I'll note how pigmented each shade is from sheer (4-5 swipes) to very pigmented (1 swipe). 


Neutrals (ish)
Catrice Eyeshadows Eyeshadow Mono Grey's Philosophy, Starlight Espresso, Oh, It's Toffee-ful, My First Copperware Party, Heidi Plum (OLD), Heidi Plum (NEW), Don't Lie, Lac, The Noble Knights, C'Mon Chameleon

swatches Catrice Eyeshadows Eyeshadow Mono Grey's Philosophy, Starlight Espresso, Oh, It's Toffee-ful, My First Copperware Party, Heidi Plum (OLD), Heidi Plum (NEW), Don't Lie, Lac, The Noble Knights, C'Mon Chameleon

Names (brace for cutesy) // finish // pigmentation:
  1. Grey's Philosophy // matte // medium
  2. Starlight Espresso // matte // pigmented
  3. Oh, It's Toffee-ful // sheen // medium
  4. My First Copperware Party // shimmer // pigmented
  5. Heidi Plum (OLD) // shimmer // pigmented
  6. Heidi Plum (NEW) // matte // sheer/patchy/chalky :(
  7. Don't Lie, Lac // sheen // medium
  8. The Noble Knights // sparkle and shimmer // pigmented
  9. C'Mon Chameleon // shimmery duochrome // pigmented [a far, far better version of MAC Club -- it's smoother, more pigmented and the duochrome shows up clearly without a base]

Colours
Catrice Eyeshadows Eyeshadow Mono  John Lemon, Pink Rock Super Star, Dalai Drama, Kiwi Wonder, Bonnie & Cloud, In Love With Hulk, Vanessa's Paradise, Petrol Keeps Me Running, Hip Hop On the Tree Top, Top of the Cops
swatches Catrice Eyeshadows Eyeshadow Mono  John Lemon, Pink Rock Super Star, Dalai Drama, Kiwi Wonder, Bonnie & Cloud, In Love With Hulk, Vanessa's Paradise, Petrol Keeps Me Running, Hip Hop On the Tree Top, Top of the Cops

Names // finish // pigmentation:
  1. John Lemon // sparse shimmer // sheer-medium
  2. Pink Rock Super Star // silver sparkle on a satin base // pigmented
  3. Dalai Drama // sheen // medium
  4. Kiwi Wonder // sheen // medium
  5. Bonnie & Cloud // matte // medium
  6. In Love With Hulk // sheen // sheer
  7. Vanessa's Paradise // shimmer // medium plus
  8. Petrol Keeps Me Running // sparse shimmer // pigmented
  9. Hip Hop On the Tree Top // matte // very pigmented [one of the best mattes I've ever tried. Ever.]
  10. Top of the Cops // silver sparkle on a matte base // sheer-medium, slightly prone to fallout

15 comments:

  1. Hey Kate! glad you get your hands on these lovely eye shadows!
    I live in Berlin-Germany and I love catrice so much! I also love their lip gloss range , their lip glosses are one of the best lip glosses I've ever encountered.
    Their foundations are also loved by a lot of people.. I would say, catrice is so far, the best drugstore brand here in Germany.

    xx,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, that's great to hear! I like the Essence lipgloss I tried recently -- are they similar at all?

      Delete
    2. Hi Kate! sorry for late reply!
      Essence and Catrice both come from the same company called Cosnova.. They are pretty great for drugstore brand in my opinion..
      Which Essence Lip glosses did you try? I would say, Catrice lip glosses are more pigmented ( they have 2 kind of lip glosses though, but the one I love is the Color show range :))

      Delete
  2. Oh no!!!! Don't show me that!!!! How am I going to get someone who's going to Europe to bring me those pretties??? D':
    I'll pretend I didn't read your post nor see the pics u.u
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( I rely on the kindness of MUAers myself! I hope this brand comes to us both <3

      Delete
    2. Right, I'll have to rely on the kindness of MUAers... seems Bourjois is arriving next week (thought today but not) over here... let's see

      Delete
  3. What a great collection, Kate! I don't get the love for these e/s at all D: I think I am one of the (very) few, hehe! I like their lipsticks a bit more but again, a lot of people hate them (still, I don't like this brand) :]. Great swatches as always <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why must you betray me like this????? D:
      haha, I actually hate hate hate the one Catrice lipstick I tried, guess we found another one of our non-twinsie brands ;D

      Delete
    2. D: too bad, the colour is so pretty and I bet it looks beautiful on you ;) oh well, wearing by terry rose de rose today BTW <3

      Delete
  4. wow, meticulous job! I get your idea about them: they are fun in your collection but for the working-horses I prefer a better textured one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always see these on spanish blogs, they are like 3,29€ in Spain but I never got around to try them. You make me want to check them out, I'll see if I end buying some : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you find these in Spain?

      Delete
  6. Oh no. I need these!!!

    ReplyDelete