Pages

Friday, 13 July 2012

Silk Naturals Lip Balm, Stain and Gloss

From vampin' to whinin':

I think these are the first all-out negative reviews I've written -- not because of any bloggy principles but simply because I don't usually buy new formulas until I've done extensive (and geekily enjoyable) research, slurped the brains of like-minded beauty lovers or my known makeup-nemeses opposites! etc. and am pretty sure it will be to my taste.

This time, lured in by Silk Naturals' lowlowprices and my own batty 'well, I'm paying shipping for skincare anyway' and 'ooh, they have proper swatches on-site! How progressive' logic, I decided that maybe Research Was Overrated....
Joy Kissable Lip Cream // Doll Lip Stain // Smooth&Full Black Label Lip Treatment // Raspberry Gingerale Organic Lip Balm

Let's start with the best of a bad bunch: Joy Kissable Lip Cream ($4.99) is marketed as a stick gloss but is more of a tinted jelly-cream finish balm; and I purchased it in hopes of finding a cheaper replacement for my beloved Fresh Sugar tinted balms. This shade is described as coral on the site; in the tube it looks like a soft pinky-peach, but its sheerness means that two good layers still gives a decidedly pink look on my very cool-toned lips:

It's a very pretty shade, but the formula is simply awful on me: there is both too much slip, resulting in a messy, uneven application (that continues to migrate at will all around your face throughout the day for that....er, organically not-trying-too-hard look?) and no actual moisturisation -- it makes my lip lines and chapped bits look worse than many lipsticks would. [Yes, I tried it with a lipbrush, still went patchy. And I don't want to be using a lipbrush with a sheer tinted balm anyway.]
Also, personal bugbear: the scent is pure sickly vanilla coconutty cocoa horror. And it lingers.

The Black Label Smooth&Full Lip Treatment ($5.95) shares the same slim black twist-up tube packaging and coconut cookie stench scent/taste as the Kissable Cream, and is only marginally more moisturising. As a daytime balm, it lacks SPF and the taste makes me want to heave. Used overnight (waiting until I about to fall asleep to smoosh some on to sidestep the gag-reflex), it would leave me with entirely dried-out, beginning-to-peel lips by morning.

[Petty sidenote because I am mean when my lips are chapped: shoddy packaging. These paper-covered black plastic applicators do not retract, and considering how slippy these formulas are, they get messy very quickly. The product picture above was taken one day after they arrived. I carried Joy around in my makeup bag as I do with all my lip-products-of-the-day and left the Smooth&Full balm in my bedside drawer; they still managed to look bedraggled in the process.]


The other balm in my haul, Organic Lipbalm in Raspberry Gingerale flavour ($3.75, but mine came as a GWP) is neck-and-neck with the pricier Black Label one -- it tastes comparatively delicious (sweet-but-not-sickly fizzy berries) BUT is also less moisturising, failing even as a daytime top-up balm for me. A mere five minutes after application, it is gone without leaving even a whisper of plumped-lipness -- I managed to get through a good 1/3 of the tube over a single week of testing, and the condition of my lips improved not one whit.
I'm afraid the main points in its favour are: pretty and retractable twist-up packaging, inoffensive scent, freebie!!eleventyone [I LOVE freebies. Can't help. Is Asian.]

Finally, Doll Lip Stain (3.5ml for $4.50), which looked like a potential replacement for my Beauté Harlot stain (love the shade, tastes like soap, doesn't go on my dry lips quite as evenly as I'd like....)
note how close this white-paper swatch is to the one on Silk Naturals' site :)
Well, I love this shade and it doesn't taste like soap..... Unfortunately it took me three layers, about 10 minutes and a lot of swearing at the doefoot to get....this:
freshly applied, three layers, damned if I was going to spend more time at this game
Then, after letting it set for a whole hour unmolested, I sipped daintily at one measly glass of water before retouching with the Raspberry Gingerale balm. Leaving me with this:
-_______-
Optimistic ray of sunshine that I am, I figured this would at least be easier to remove than the Beauté stain, which usually gives an overeager 48 hours of wear, unasked. But after two rounds  of my usual remove-everything Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil, I was left with THIS. Indelibly. For the next forty-eight hours (so yay, cheap Beauté dupe?)
I don't think this particular spin on the ombre lips trend is going to take off.....
So, research? Soooo not overrated.

36 comments:

  1. Wow, these products sound terrible! I almost laughed out loud at the last pic, you're so right, that's EXACTLY what a lipstain gone wrong looks like! Haha, thanks for this review, I'm NOT going to buy these products! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walked around like that for TWO DAYS. Even a YSL glossy stain couldn't cover it up completely D:
      but glad I could help ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, those sure sound like they deserved negative reviews! Silk Naturals does have great skincare though - what else did you get from them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the samples :) Still taking my time to go through them one by one but I'm quite happy so far.

      Delete
  3. I love an entertaining negative review ... so strangely satisfying. What I really like is how hard you tried to make them work - it's the same sort of thing that I do. That and the research, which is sometimes the best part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad -- it did feel cathartic to write but I wondered if it would just be a slog to read :)

      Delete
    2. No way! Besides, the pictures pretty much tell the story for those with a short attention span.

      Delete
  4. Aw.. I am so sorry these did not work out for it. I hate it when stuff I eagerly anticipate receiving turns out to be crappy. I like doing a lot of research too, I google something to death before I decide whether I want to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good way to relearn that lesson at least! Research is good. Do the research.

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with you on the stains - awful! I tried one and it looked horribly patchy on me, even in initial application.

    However, I have nothing but good results from the other lip products. I hate petroleum based ingredients, so I love the natural oils in the Silk Naturals balms. I really detest scented things on my lips, so I always go unscented... (I am now scared of trying any of the Lip Creams.) I have gone through about 6+ tubes of Smooth & Full and have never had any of them have a bothersome scent? Maybe I'm used to it!

    - Alex

    Also, we must have really different taste in lip products because I HATE the Fresh Sugar tinted balms. They taste chemically and feel like they sit on top of the skin as opposed to sinking in. They also wear really strangely on me, settling into the corners of the mouth. It's funny to me because I agree with you in so many other respects. To each their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all makeup is personal but it seems that foundation, mascara and lip products are most so. I have no problem at all with petroleum and actively enjoy the Fresh scent (the lemon is favourite Jack Black flavour too).

      Admittedly I am very sensitive to coconut and particularly dislike foody vanilla so to have so many of my dislikes in one product.... :(

      I don't think you will mind the Kissable Cream scent, it is exactly the same as the balm's.

      Delete
  6. Well MUS, sounds like they deserved the negative review. However, this is the first review I read from you that doesn't create any lemmings ;)
    I'll let you know how tomorrow's Nars makeover ends up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay :) Honestly most products are just 'meh' to me, very few inspire active dislike!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think their lip products suck! I love their skin care and every time I make an order I'm tempted to give their lip products another try. And each time I'm disappointed by the difference between their online swatch and the actual colour of the product. And despite raves on their forums I can never make them to work on me. I thought I just have weird lips. The lip stain looks like a lovely colour. Too bad it doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SN does seem like a company with a dedicated cult following -- I stopped reading LUSH forums for similar reasons long ago. Loved the enthusiasm but I wasn't getting any idea of how the products actually were.

      Delete
  8. oh dear, not so good then. They remind me of the ELF lip stains, so if you were thinking of trying those don't ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh, ombre lips look terrible on your (normally) perfect pout: if it looks bad on you it would look horrible on me. They used to be better, Silk Naturals. I hope their eyeshadows are still good (but I still have tons so I will not order soon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my lips need A LOT of work to look good, tbh.... that said I still wouldn't recommend these to most people ;)

      I have heard good things about their e/s and I like loose pigments...

      Delete
  10. In my tinted lip balm search I stumbled upon SN Butter Cream Lip Glaze (same philosophy: I'm paying for skincare, why not try this too). Now, I don't recommend that crap either. Although it looks good in the first few minutes after applying it, it just turns out very uncomfortable and evokes "take‐this‐away‐from‐my‐sight‐and‐my‐lips" feeling quickly. It looks like I don't want to try any other lip products from this brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loool! I love it! Thanks for the warning :D

      Delete
  11. I love Silk Naturals eyeshadows way more than their lip products. Now, while I think their lip products are not the best in quality, there are some things on your reviews that I'd like to point out:

    1. SPF. Some of their formula includes Titanium dioxide, which is a physical sunscreen. However, brands are not allowed to put SPF rating on their products without a test to determine the SPF number; and since the test is ungodly expensive, most smaller brands (like Silk Naturals) can't afford it. Hence, they often just leave out SPF rating on their labels altogether.

    2. From my experience, alcohol-based lip stains are best removed with ethanol-based clear liquid. This means everclear or vodka, and perhaps a soft toothbrush. It IS very drying though, so if your lips are on the sensitive side, might want to skip persistent stains altogether.

    On another note, I'm new to your blog, but I can say I'm enjoying your writing style and clear swatch pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this thoughtful comment, Ryou!

      1. Honestly the sunscreen is more incidental. I don't wear untinted lipbalm for daytime anyway and this formula doesn't work under the lipsticks I like so no go.

      2. I may have to smooch a glass of vodka next time I venture into some Beaute stains :D

      Delete
  12. Wow, it's pretty refreshing to read a rant review on Silk Naturals. LOL.

    I actually really love this brand, but I have to admit there are a couple stuff that are just meh, but mostly their products work amazingly well on me. I especially love the lip products

    However, I'd have to say that the Kissable Cream formula hardly works on me. It was.....terrible. Usually my chapped lips get better with SN lippies, not with this one. It amplifies the flakiness, and the color was not flattering on me either. It was also streaky, patchy, and slides around. I try to scrub my lips, apply again, just to get the same result. Long story short, I'm done with KC.
    The lipstain also has to be applied carefully as the darker color will leave the dreaded lip ring. I found wet cotton swab helps upon application.

    It's not the case with the other formulas, tho.
    Kisser Slicker gives ample moisture and feels lovely. Even the cool pink Damsel looks good on me, to my disbelief.
    ALG Blushberry REALLY helped me survive harsh Scandinavian winter for 10 days, until I lost it in the Stockholm.
    Butter Cream also feels rich and moisturizing and the color (I have Azalea and Combustion) lasts a loooong looooooooong time.
    Black Label is a-okay, but I find that it's not equally moisturizing/rich as ALG and KS.

    I hope your next experience will be more than pleasant. SN really deserves the raves it has been getting. But then again, nothing's perfect, so it is fair to expect them to fall here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this overview! So helpful

      Delete
  13. I was super-excited about that Doll stain...then I saw your wear and removal pictures. Sweet lord, that is AWFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kate--I'm addicted to your blog! Thanks for the review, I was on the fence about these. What skincare do you use from Silk Naturals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I just ordered samples and am still making my way through them :) Will be reviewing soon.

      Delete
  15. Kate, Check out Buddha Balm (www.buddhabalm.com). Best stuff I have ever used. Flavorful and natural. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely Research This ;D

      Delete
  16. LOL! I love the expression of your lips in that last picture. "Not f'ing impressed, son"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gawd, lol I must have had perma-pout for those two days

      Delete
  17. After buying the Spring 2012 KC lip products, I don't bother buying any of their pigmented lip products or lipcare anymore (or the foundation since I'm so sick of mixing)...the colors are rarely flattering on me, they weren't that moisturizing, and they just don't apply smoothly on me. I'm always disappointed. I only like the Amplyfying Lip Glaze formula, but not enough to buy them again. I'm not too fond of their blush color selection either. There is variety, but not a balanced variety. I've gone through so many blush samples...and only liked one or two on me. I can't say too much about their eye shadows because I don't wear eye makeup....but I have bought a few...they're pretty and okay, but the ones will sparkle will get into your eye if you don't wear a primer or something.
    I was one of those people who used to rave about their products, but I think I was mostly attracted by lower price, the fast shipping, and the active forum. But I don't think I've committed to anything I bought (I usually gave it away or threw it out). I got better results with drugstore stuff (I'm glad my sister recommended the the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain. I gave up on lip stains after trying Silk Natural's).

    Thanks for your honest and hilarious review.

    ReplyDelete