Pages

Monday, 9 July 2012

Vamp and Vagaries

If you know me from makeupalley or skim through my pinboards, you'll probably know I've been on the prowl for The Perfect Vamp for a good while. An appetite sharpened in summer by images like these, setting the balanced vampy lips off against yellow-based neutrals:
After swatching every vaguely close shade from ArtDeco to Za, and a few disastrous attempts at frankening-my-own [I have whatever the opposite of an artistic temperament is -- my usual attempts at mixing lipsticks results in vampy sludge; the minute I try to get vampy sludge? NADA.] Anyway, blah blah, flung self on mercy of birthday gods, added Addiction Vamp to my order, praying that it would do what it said on the tin.

It did.
with flash
Vamp features the perfect balance of plum/brown/red/black tones, as smoothly saturated yet glowingly matte as all of Addiction's C (colour) lipsticks, does not budge once on (lasts through drinks/snacks, fades evenly to a stain after a hearty meal) and while being as weightless as a stain, doesn't dry my extremely picky lips out. Texture and performance aside, The finish is appropriately vampy, pitched between an uncouth flat matte and a too-lush cushy velvet.

This was two layers, applied with a Hakuhodo Misako Portable lipbrush.

On the eyes, brainless smokey with THREE Eye Rock pencil blended up from lashline with Shiseido Caviar cream eyeshadow on waterline. Tiny bit of warmth from Burberry Earthy in socket. Lancome Hypnose Drama WP mascara.
Apologies for terrible lighting. The shimmer is more complex and apparent IRL.

Now I was uncharacteristically hesitant about the next bit of this post, but in the spirit of publish&bedamned or, like, spontaneity or sprezzatura or summat: conniptions resulting from attempt to dress this look. (Close window now if you don't want to see ridiculous amount of poses and clotheses.)

I wanted something summery and retro-ish and girly/über-femme to play off against the stark makeup; the exact something was trickier. (Fortunately, to offset my hilariously inartistic eye, I have the uncanny ability to perform a full costume change in under ten seconds while leaving makeup prisitine and hair no more dishevelled than is its nature -- the face pics above were taken after all this.)

1. and 2.
The blue/red thing is a hangover from the day before, when I wore blue/red makeup and black clothes. My mind likes to be lazy. The second is better than the first, but both were too femme-formal and not girly enough.
left: Kitterick shirt // Reiss skirt // vintage belt // Clarks shoes
right: EQ:IQ top // Whistles skirt // vintage belt // Pedder Red shoes

3. and 4.
I liked how the deep red skirt [which has pockets, as all skirts should] brought out the red in the lips, so gave it a few more retro spins, with cropped tops in a lighter blue this time, and pink:
left: Topshop bralet // Whistles skirt // Pedder Red shoes
right: diy cropped cardi // Whistles skirt // Pedder Red shoes
5. and 6.
Then I thought maybe going with the sombre lips was not quite the thing and a more summery twist of corally/watermelony red would be kickier:
left: COS cardigan // Topshop bralet // Jill Stuart skirt // Pedder Red shoes
right: Uniqlo tank // Topshop bralet // Jill Stuart skirt // Clarks shoes // derpiest face yet

7. and 8. 
Around this time I started feeling like a parody of myself and grasped frantically at the opposite of blue&red -- yellow&green. Nah, it didn't make sense at the time either.
left: diy cropped cardi // Pageboy skirt // Repetto sandals // me realising it makes no sense
right: COS shirt // as know as de base trousers // Repetto sandals // shameface

9. The I Am Going To Be Late Now Aren't I Resolution
Schoolgirlish silhouette. Play on tones and textures, so in effect matchy-matchy with the makeup. Again.
COS shirt // Jill Stuart skirt // Pedder Red shoes
Black...and white. I'm a veritable fashion TRAILBLAZER so I am.

43 comments:

  1. Yay for finding your perfect Vamp! My fav outfit for this is #3- it hits all the right notes. I will say your "I will cut you, b*tch" face is awesome. And did you colors your hair??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resting bitch face FTW :P
      And yes, hair is now "Berry Ash" from Schwarzkopf Blythe Fresh Light.

      Delete
  2. oh you look absolutely good with vampy lips!!
    I also like wearing vampy lipstick esp in winter. I don't feel like wearing it in summer because it's too overwhelming for me.. My fave vampy lipstick is the one by Rival de Loop ( a drugstore brand here in Germany ), it's really rich, pigmented and affordable :)
    and I love alllllll your looks :D pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for introducing me to a new brand! :)
      I love the idea of dramatic velvety winter vamps too, but really enjoying this bronzed spin right now.

      Delete
  3. Outfit 3 is close for me, but 4 hits it perfectly. Love the Addiction Vamp - it reminds me a lot of Tom Ford Black Orchid lipstick, which is my favourite vampy shade.

    Is your hair lighter/redder? Looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Grace, I value your eye.

      And yes, summer means impulse-lightening :)

      Delete
  4. I'm all about outfit #9, but perhaps that's because I'm a color-phobe? In any case, I envy your Vamp ownership -- what a gorgeous shade! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O HAI THUR!
      You do rock the sharp contrasts more than me, ms perfect bone structure :)

      Delete
  5. My personal choice is outfit #4- I think it's perfect. I'm likewise a vampy lip fan and I'm always on the lookout for that one holy grail shade. This one looks great- I wish we got the brand here (Canada).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for #4! Makes sense as I usually do seem to overshoot by twice-as-many :)

      I would love for an indie etailer like zuneta to pick up this brand.

      Delete
  6. Oh hon, I love the vampy so much! Is there a look you can't rock? I love the fashion experiments documented in stages. I like the last look you call predictable the best XD. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D You're so rad your tastes have come full circle! TY for not laughing at me too much :*

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Vampy M needs to come haunt the night with Vampy Me.

      Delete
  8. Wow - Vamp looks great on you! I like the all-white outfit, but I actually think 3 really works. I love the shape of the skirt and you're right - it does bring out the red in the lipstick. The blue top just seems to bring it all together. I am impressed that you managed so many outfit changes and kept the make-up perfect - I would have ended up with lipstick all over my face within about 5 seconds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh, it's one of my vanishingly few useful skills....

      Delete
  9. Thanks for all the hard work, I was contemplating MAC Film Noir and was almost resigned to the dreadful formula. I'm buying this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that one is an unholy mess! I think you would like these, caro, they're very multipurpose and encourage experimentation (cream eyeshadow, anyone?)

      Delete
  10. I actually really like 7! There's something hyper feminine about it, but the lips and hair bring it up to edgy (for lack of a less trite term) and that whole good-girl-gone-bad thing. Maybe I'm channelling my inner gothic lolita? You should take Vamp out for a spin with the wine coloured Whistles skirt, though, they're totes spiritual bffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's exactamally it! I was woken that day by Lana DelRey's Lolita on the radio, decided to roll with it....

      Delete
  11. I absolutely love 5 & 6...and of course I love the lipstick, c'mon. ;) I can't wait to try Addiction some day, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I do love me some red&blue, even if I can't have it in eyeshadow&lipstick form daily.

      Delete
  12. I.......I can't say it with words. So I'll say it with a song:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4hGUl0IYk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa--that is a SERIOUS lip. You really know how to work it! And ps: I LOVE your clothing style. So cute! I wish I were more girly and didnt dress like such a bum :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I am actually trying to dress LESS cute. My instincts tend to froufrou D:

      Delete
  14. Miranda Kerr's vampy lip=painstaking beauty!

    I adore all of your OOTDs, Kate. Why you no haz fashion line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDK TINH! I quite agree that I should be recompensed handsomely for getting dressed in the morning! :P

      Delete
  15. You look stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my favorite blog posts ever. Wonderful OOTD shots and that vampy lip...what can I say...girl crush :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. So funny - I've had that bottom right picture from your inspiration collage saved in my inspiration folder for months! It's a beautiful look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you on pinterest? :) It is truly addictive

      Delete
  18. 1. You nailed it with that lipstick.

    2. My fantasy brain wants you to be taking polaroids of these outfits/makeup look combos, and compiling a portfolio of your favorites for go-to awesome.
    Yes, like in Clueless, LOL.
    My favorites are: 3, 6, 4, 5, 9.

    PS - Skirts with pockets rock. Also, sundresses with pockets. I found 3 adorable, curvy-chubby-body-friendly ones for cheap when I was last in the states … and our glorious English summer has denied me a good chance to wear them *sob*. Only one's left my front door … layered with tights and a short-sleeved bolero cardigan. I was going to see Moonrise Kingdom with my man-fellow. (LOVED it.)

    Good job not censoring what turned out to be an excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *still* dream about Cher's computer.... best Austen adapt. EVER.

      And want to see Moonrise Kingdom so very badly, tights or no tights! I'm back in England now and gosh you weren't joking. It is BLOODY MISERABLE. Roll on Olypmic trainwreck :P

      Delete
  19. I'm sure I've seen those inspiring pics in Pinterest hehehe
    You pull vampy looks lovely, and I totally love your outfits ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expect to have your pinboards poached very shortly! :P

      Delete
    2. Hehehe... I'll try to post a couple of pics ;)

      Delete
  20. Eeee, I love all these outfits! Especially 9 with the lip. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you play with fashion! I think out of all outfits you showed here, the one with Whistles skirt and Topshop bralet appeals to me the most. It's girly and playful, but sexy at the same time, nicely balances the lip:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I ADORE the white outfit it is in stark contrast with your look and mildly creepy in a wonderful way! I have just started up a Pinterest account. Expect some oddness there. Anyway, I like this lipstick very much and shall take a look at it in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! I really hope you find that purple you were looking for.

    And I love your taste in clothing. Your figure is TDF, btw. hate you...-______-

    ReplyDelete